Kaj Blennow, MD, PhD ,Professor
Tel (office): +46 31 3431791
Tel (secretary): +46 31 3430025
Fax: +46 31 3432426
Head of the research team on “Neurochemical Pathogenesis and Diagnostics” at the Dept. of Clinical Neuroscience, University of Gothenburg, Sweden. Head of the Clinical Neurochemistry Lab at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden.
Medical degree (MD) 1984
Registered doctor (Legitimerad läkare) 1986
Specialist competence in general psychiatry 1993
Specialist competence in clinical chemistry 1994
Doctor in Medical Science (PhD), Göteborg University 1990
Ass. Professor (Docent), University of Göteborg, Sweden 1994
Post as Researcher at the Medical Research Council (MRC), Sweden. 1997-2002
Senior Consultant (överläkare), Neurochem. Lab, Sahlgren’s Hosp., Sweden 1995-
Professor in Clinical Neurochemistry, University of Göteborg, Sweden. 2003-
The major research interests are:
* Studies on cerebrospinal fluid biochemical markers the clinical diagnosis of AD and other brain disorders, including methodological aspects of cerebrospinal fluid analyses.
* Genetic mechanisms of AD, with focus on single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs).
* The neurochemical pathogenesis of AD.
* Neurotransmitter disturbances in aging and brain disorders.
* The neurochemical pathogenesis of schizophrenia.
Publications (April 2010)
• About 380 original research papers in peer-reviewed journals, 50 reviews in peer-reviewed journals, 50 proceedings and 50 other types of papers (Comments, Editorials, Letters).
Citation report on ISI Web of Knowledge (April 2010)
• Results: 544; Times Cited: 12.6989; Average Citations per Item: 23.34; h-index: 57.
• 'The European College of Neuropsychopharmacol. (ECNP) Award', Monte Carlo (1991).
• 'The Collegium Internationale Neuro-Psychopharmacologicum (CINP) Award', Nice (1992)
• 'The Ole J Rafaelsen Award', Copenhagen, Denmark (1993).
• 'The International Psychogeriatric Association (IPA) Research Award', first prize, Berlin (1993)
• Scholarship from Lundbeckfonden/Scandinavian Society of Psychopharmacology (1994)
• Nordic Society for Research in Brain Aging (NORAGE) Research Award, Oslo (1994).
• The Inga Sandeborgs Price, Swedish Medical Association, for Research in AD (1996).
• Price for Best Poster in Clinical Chem. at the Swedish Assoc of Medicine (Läkarstämman) (1998).
• The Alois Alzheimer Research Award, Munchen, Germany, 2001.
• 'The European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP) Research Award' (2010).